How are you all?
Back with you today for a little treat, some cupcakes that are tasty but gentle on our body. I had heard on the radio some talk about green banana flour a few months ago and while I was doing my groceries last week I came across some at Woolworths and bought a packet to try. You know that I am not huge on sugar nor on gluten but I still think that sharing a meal or a treat is one of the great pleasures of life. So since I had strawberries ready to be eaten and friends over I just tried these little desserts. I love testing things, I don’t publish everything as sometimes the result is not that good….. but we all thought this was worth a post 😉 I made a little meringue on the top but I had to use white sugar for that, so those of you who want to go without the topping just make the cupcakes, you can also whisk some coconut cream for a healthier option.
To get back to the green banana flour, its first advantage to me was the fact that is is free from gluten, but also has a low glycemic index, so it is good for people who need to watch their sugar levels and is gentle on the gut, I love that! And to top up these benefits it is a good source of magnesium like bananas, and most of us could do with more magnesium, it helps with headache, muscle ache and make our sleep smoother. If you want to start using this flour just replace your regular wheat flour in your recipes but only use 75% of the required quantity.
This recipe again is quick and easy so give it a try!
Recipe for 8 cupcakes
- 12 strawberries
- 40g of salted butter at room temperature
- 40g of raw sugar
- 2 eggs
- 75g of green banana flour
- 1 squished small banana
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- Optional : I added an Italian meringue on the top for which you will need 2 egg whites, 80g of white sugar and 75ml of water
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC
- Wash well your strawberries. Keep 6 for the decoration and cut 6 in tiny pieces.
- In the bowl of your mixer or by hand whisk your soft butter with the sugar until you obtain a smooth result, add the squished banana and the eggs, one at a time. Then incorporate banana flour and baking powder.
- Add gently the strawberry pieces
- Pour the mixture in your cupcake mould and cook for about 20 minutes, the cupcakes should be golden.
- Remove from the oven and let the cupcakes cool down before taking them off the mould.
- If you decide to make an Italian meringue heat in a small saucepan sugar and water together until the temperature reaches 118ºC, ideally with a thermometer. The syrup should not change in colour, it takes a little while to reach the right temperature but keep watching as you do not want to make caramel. While the syrup is heating up, whisk your egg whites to harden. When the syrup has reached the right temperature pour it slowly over the egg whites. Do this slowly while you keep whisking your whites, make sure the syrup goes onto the whites and not on the side of your bowl as it will harden and stay stuck instead of cooking your eggs. Whisk until it cools down. The meringue you obtain should be smooth, thick and a bit shiny. Use a piping bag to decorate the top of your cupcakes with it. Then add a strawberry.